Piccadilly Station Manchester – geograph. Piccadilly line timetable pdf may vary year on year.
1847 and Manchester Piccadilly in 1960. It is the fourth busiest station in the United Kingdom outside London. The station hosts services from six train operating companies. 8 million passengers changing trains there annually. 100m in 2002, it was the most expensive improvement on the UK rail network at the time. London Road opened on 8 May 1842. It had two platforms, offices and passenger amenities and by then the line extended to Crewe.
Its single platform, opened on 1 August 1849 to the south of, and adjacent to, the main part of the station was the predecessor of the through platforms 13 and 14. The frontage of London Road station in the 1900s, the main building dated from 1866. LR occupying the north-eastern side and the LNWR occupying the south-western side. While under construction on 20 January 1866, part of the roof collapsed killing two workmen and injuring 30 more. An enquiry found the collapse was due to strong winds and heavy snowfall. Within ten years, the station was again overcrowded as traffic continued to increase and further expansion was required.
AR platform was taken out and rebuilt as an island platform on a girder bridge over Fairfield Street. It was linked to the main station by a footbridge. The improvements were opened in May 1882. The interior of the Victorian trainshed. 1910, providing four platforms which alleviated overcrowding at London Road. The two stations were linked by a footbridge. It closed to passengers in 1960 and closed permanently in 1986.
The derelict station building still exists, and various redevelopment schemes have been proposed. They continued to operate London Road as two separate stations. Manchester Piccadilly on 12 September 1960. Piccadilly station in 1989, with the concourse building opened in 1966, this was later redeveloped in 2002. Most of the station was rebuilt except for the Victorian trainsheds which remained mostly unaltered, although the two 1880s spans were shortened at the concourse end. 66, because funding ran out due to a national credit squeeze.
R through platforms and bridges over Fairfield Street were rebuilt on a pre-stressed concrete slab bridge with cantilevered sides for the tracks. The layout in the trainshed was reconfigured and more and longer platforms added. A new concourse and entrance replaced the 1860s buildings and a ten-storey office block was built alongside to house British Rail. The work was completed on 11 May 1966 in time for the introduction of electric expresses to London.
The approach to the station was also redeveloped. When the work was completed, both stations were closed as surplus to requirements when services into Manchester from the south were concentrated at Piccadilly. Piccadilly’s status as Manchester’s main station. The link opened in 1988 and was fully operational in 1989. 1960s structure which had become insufficient for the number of passengers.